Outdoor cooking recipe – Sardine tomato onion spaghetti
This is the recipe we created based on what we can get from the grocery store at Sossusvlei National Park. I was craving for noodle after traveling in Southern Africa for a week. Surprising the grocery store in the middle of the desert at Sossusvlei is quite well stock. We managed to get a few big onion, a package of spaghetti, a can of tomato paste, a can of sardine in hot chili and onion saurce. In addition of salt, black pepper and butter we took from our previous guess house at Swakopmund. It is always handy to keep some salt, pepper and butter along the trip.
- Peel and slice and onion.
- Put a saucepan on a medium heat. We don’t have olive oil so we just cook the onion with butter for around 5 minutes until soft.
- Mix the onion with the tomato paste and hot chilli and onion saurce. Plus a little bit of salt.
- While preparing the source, fill a large pot of water, add a tiny pinch of salt and boil it.
- Once the water is boiled, add the spaghetti and stir it occasionally. You want to cook your pasta until it is al dente (meaning ‘to the tooth’ – soft enough to eat, but still have a bit of a bite and fimness to it).
- Add the sardines to the cooked tomato chilli source mixed with onion and cook for few minutes.
- Once the pasta is done, ladle out and put them on the plate.
- Stir the spaghetti into the sauce.
The sardine tomato hot chilli onion spaghetti turn out very tasty. Never expect this in the middle of a desert. We finished the spaghetti within 5 minutes. And look forward for another spaghetti for dinner with different recipe.
We end our lunch with a small bottle of sparkling wine given by our previous guess house in Swapkupmund facing the vast view of mountain range from far.
Self catering Camp at Sossusvlei – http://www.desertcamp.com/